Sticking to your goals can be difficult, having an accountability partner can help you stay on track and help you reach your goals! Below you will find some qualities to look for when selecting your accountability partner.
Characteristics of a great accountability partner
- Able to give positive feedback
- Has an interest in your success
Not so great characteristics
- Does not believe in your goals
- Does not believe in you
Identify your Accountability Partner, discuss the partnership, set goals, set a follow-up and check-in schedule.
- Make a list of potential accountability partners
- Speak with each one and determine their potential for holding you accountable
- Select your accountability partner and then discuss your goals. They need to truly understand what you want to accomplish in order to keep you on track.
- Discuss what motivation looks like to you. Do you respond well to praise? Should they make you feel guilty/ashamed/proud…be clear with your accountability partner!
- Take notes! Use your Post-traumatic Growth Plan from your program as a guide to discuss your goals.
- Schedule your check-in frequency and method (call/text/face-to-face)
QUESTION FOR REFLECTION
Where do you want to see yourself in the next 6-month, 1 year, 3 years? How can your accountability partner help you reach those milestones?